Experience the AUEA tour Click Here
What is a UTC?
University Technical Colleges are a new concept in education. They offer 14-19 year olds the opportunity to take a highly regarded, full time, technically-oriented course of study. They are equipped to the highest standard, sponsored by a university and offer clear progression routes into higher education or further learning in work.
The students combine hand and mind to learn in a very practical way, integrating national curriculum requirements with the technical and vocational elements. The college ethos and curriculum is heavily influenced by local and national employers who also provide support and work experience for students.
Aston University Engineering Academy is a University Technical College sponsored by Aston University.
We want to forge a partnership between vocational education and universities, FE colleges and employers.
Aston University Engineering Academy Vision and Mission Statement
Aston University Engineering Academy will be nationally recognised as a centre of excellence in providing the very best engineering and technical education for successful and rewarding careers.
The Academy will achieve this by:
- Working in partnership with our students, their parents, the University, regional and national employers, the professional bodies, local schools and the community.
- Having high aspirations and expectations of its staff and students in both professional and personal development.
- Fostering values that equip students for success.
- Providing every student with an industrial sponsor, a university student mentor and a personalised pathway through and beyond the academy.
- Creating an inspirational learning community within which everyone is empowered to be a learner, a teacher and a leader.
- Developing and delivering a challenging and innovative employer led curriculum that is applied and focused on the industrial and business world to prepare students for Employment, Apprenticeships or Higher Education.
- Involving staff and students in the continuous improvement of life in the academy, through reflection, research and publication of practice.
Working at AUEA
We want all Aston University Engineering Academy staff to be committed to their own professional development and therefore model their passion for learning to our young people. The relationship with Aston University creates a range of exciting opportunities for all of our staff to engage in research and professional development.
Aston University Engineering Academy is a state of the art building that will house 13 specialist engineering and science workshops and laboratories that have been designed and equipped in partnership with our engineering industrial partners. All engineering and science learning areas are specifically designed to ensure that learning is practical, ‘hands-on’ and set in an industrial context. ICT will be readily available to students and staff throughout the Academy to support and enhance learning. All areas of the Academy offer wireless connectivity to our virtual learning environment.
Aston University Engineering Academy is a unique place to learn with young people joining us from all over the City of Birmingham at the ages of 14 and 16. It will be a mature and business like learning environment. The Academy will be organised to develop and sustain the rigorous learning and teaching needed to achieve its vision to be a world-class centre of excellence in engineering and science.
The AUEA Team
- The Vision and Mission statement of the Aston University Engineering Academy
- Model the Academy’s ethos and core values of:
o STRIVING FOR EXCELLENCE
o LEARNING TOGETHER
o EVERYONE A LEADER
- A longer day – 8.30am to 4.30pm Monday and Friday and 8.30am to 5.30pm Tuesday to Thursday.
- Teach more lessons each week.
- Contributing to the enrichment curriculum each week.
In return for your passion and commitment you can expect:
- Class sizes of 20 students for all subjects
- Vertical tutor groups of 16 students
- Motivated 14-19 age range students
- Timetabled preparation time
- Professional CPD time built in to your school week
- Opportunities to enhance your teaching with a 21st Century ICT solution and technical support
- A lap top
- An Excellent teaching environment
- Opportunities to be innovative creative and inspirational in your teaching
- Opportunities to work with industry partners, and Aston University lecturers and researchers to ensure your subject knowledge is leading edge.
- Access to Aston University sporting facilities and library
For more information about working at AUEA click here
To access the main school website click here