Industrial factory Beach Pier Bridge and village next to river Seaside fronta and stalls Bath christmas market Bridge Hot air balloon over Bristol Seaside Mechanic and car wheel


What is Jobseeker’s Allowance?

Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) is for unemployed people and paid by the jobcentre. There are two types of JSA; ‘contribution-based’ depends upon your National Insurance contributions, whereas ‘income-based’ depends upon your financial circumstances. You may qualify for either or both of these parts, depending upon your circumstances.

Jobseekers Allowance

Department for Work and Pensions

Provides a list of claim forms that you can download or fill in online for benefits, allowances, pensions, etc


Provides information from across UK government departments.

Citizens Advice Bureau

Provides independent advice on many issues, including benefits.

Tax-related issues

Your local HMRC office will be able to provide you with advice and guidance.  To speak to somebody, either call the contact centre on
0845 300 0627, or visit your local centre.